Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Marathon Training - Day 67

Wednesday, May 6, 2009: Before the run today, we put the horses out in the main yard, they are our 1-HP per unit "Lawn Trimmers" and hopefully will help avoid a lawn mowing or two during the marathon training sessions and early summer weeks.


Later, I decided to do another in the series of runs up to the end of the blacktop today. I had a couple of piles of bottles and cans left behind from the gathering runs I did a earlier. This time, I took some bags with to do a final pickup. The first pickup was just after the 1.5 mile mark and since there were enough bottles and cans, my normal jog was slowed down to a slog (slog jog). A second major accumulation was only about a quarter mile up the road. With those, I decided to mostly walk to collect any other debris I missed on earlier runs. By the time I got to the 3.1 mile turnaround, the bag was again nearly full, so I left it at the end of the blacktop for pickup later. I was able to run most of the way back. However, I did spot a couple of more cans and bottles and stopped and picked them up as I returned down the hill. By the time I got back home I had collected another half-dozen bottles and the same number of cans. This should complete the major pickups for the rest of my training runs. However, it seems, I can count on a couple new of items in every mile of the roads I run. Let the running log show: Run/walk of 6.220 miles; can and bottle collection: 20-30 pounds in one bag, and another dozen items on the 3 miles back to the ranch.

No comments: