Friday, May 22, 2009

Marathon Training - Day 83


Friday, May 22, 2009: Well, I had thought about the options for today: 1) Run to town to pick up a repaired truck; 2) Rest; 3) Run as hard as possible, because the truck was not done (and, in fact was gonna cost a lot more to repair than planned). Well, the truck wasn't fixed, so option #1 was ruled out. The marathon training log shows I need to run a few more miles this week, so option #2 could not be implemented. There probably would have been some other options to consider, but as much as I could, I opted for #3. There was a short period of time when I felt totally spent, and walked for about 300 yards. Then, I thought about it again, and decided I really don't improve that much if I give up, so I started running again. This was during the last mile of the uphill run on the gravel road to the Lupine Meadows gate. There are a couple of sections where the downhill ride on a bicycle (coasting) is at 30 MPH, so, the grade is pretty good and gives a nice workout on the uphill section. I kept up the pace for the rest of the uphill climb. During the downhill, I did just a quick loop to pickup a six-pack and a couple of cans I saw in the ditch. It ended up being a good run with the total time just under 90 minutes and some nice running during the last couple of miles.
After a lunch, and a few ranch tasks, I decided to do another cross-training bike ride. The weather cooperated again with light winds and, (could I be so lucky two days in a row), maybe even a tail wind on the return to the ranch. Log summary: Run: 8.4 miles; Cross-training bike ride: 13.4 miles.

No comments: